5 Tips in Packing Boxes for Moving
There are several things that you need to keep in mind when you’re moving. You’ll need to sort your belongings to figure out which ones you’re going to take with you and which ones are going to charity or to the people around you who might be able to use them. When moving, you would want to bring only those items that you really need as shipping can get extremely expensive especially if you’re going overseas.
Another thing that you need to put on top of your priority list is properly packing your boxes for moving. If this is the first time that you’re moving from one city to another, you’ll realize that putting your belongings into different boxes isn’t as easy as it may seem. If not done properly, your items may break while in transit and this may mean losing a lot of money along the way.
Below are some tips to packing boxes when you’re moving to ensure safety:
- Use different sizes. When buying your boxes, it’s best if you get them in different sizes. Smaller ones are useful as they can lighten the load for each of them. When moving your items, you’re going to lift your boxes when loading and unloading them from the moving van and the lighter they are, the better.
- Use bubble wrap or protective padding. Items that are considered fragile or those that can easily get damaged must be cushioned with protective padding or bubble wrap before you put them into packing boxes. If money is tight, you can use clothes or newspapers. You can even use pillows of bedding. The trick here is making sure that all fragile items are individually wrapped and that you put just enough amount of packing materials in between them.
- Label your boxes. Be organized by simply labeling all your packing boxes even before you put your belongings into them. There should be separate boxes for fragile items, for your books, clothes, and small personal belongings. Also, label your boxes to help movers determine which of them will go on top or bottom when they load them in a moving truck or van.
- Invest on high quality packaging tape. It’s not enough that you get high quality boxes when you move; it’s also important to ensure that the packaging tape that you’re using is strong enough to hold your boxes together otherwise, your boxes can split open during the move and your valuables will easily fall out.
- Ask for the help of movers when packing your boxes. If you have lots of breakables or if you simply don’t have the time or energy to pack your boxes, consider getting the help of professional movers. With their skills and expertise, they can definitely give you peace of mind. Although, you will need to pay them extra for this, you can be assured that your belongings will be taken care of and that your move will be as organized as possible.